Review - The Strange Library

By October Moon - janeiro 24, 2020




One of my favourite authors is Haruki Murakami, and I'm always curious to read more of his work.

The Strange Library is a short story, directed to children and also a quick read, so it was a great way to start my reading year!
With that being said, nobody does weird, sinister stories like Murakami! In this book, we are transported to a twisted tale where the line between dreams/nightmares and reality becomes blurry.

The author explores subjects like the perception of fear, loneliness, isolation, grief, and loss. There are also typical Murakami elements similar to ones featured in other books by the author, like sheep and family members that start acting weird and not forgetting the overall creepy, weird vibes.

I heard this on audiobook and although I did like the narrator, I will buy and read the physical copy because I think the illustrations can offer the opportunity to perceive the narrative differently, exploring other interpretations - probably adding more depth to the story and characters.
I only wish this book had been a little longer because the premise is amazing, but I felt like it all happened a little too fast and some things could have been more explored and answered in a better form.

With that being said, I don't think this categorizes as a children's book (it could be quite a scary/spooky and rather complex read for a child) and I would recommend it to people who are already familiar with some of the author's other works.




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comentários